Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Quinoa Bloody Quinoa















Sorry to disappoint the vegetarian zombies out there, but the red is actually beets. I normally don't eat like this anymore. When I was single and didn't have a meaty bf to cook for, I'd eat simple meals of steamed vegetables, grains, beans and tofu. Maybe a little sauce. This morning I threw together a little throwback meal to my bachelorette days. Here's how I made my bloody breakfast:

Quinoa Bloody Quinoa

1/3 c. quinoa
2 baby beets
2/3 c. water or stock*
3 or so swiss chard leaves

Grate beets. Add quinoa to boiling water (I used my rice cooker which was awesome) and stir in the beets. Steam greens atop quinoa near the end of cooking.

Miso Tahini Sauce

1 T. miso
2 T. tahini
shake of sea salt
1 T. lemon juice
almost 1/3 c. water

Whisk together ingredients and decorate bloody quinoa lavishly.

Feed the zombies. They're hungry.


If you have some chives growing in your garden, they would be awesome here. I added some seeds (not pictured) for the crunch factor.

Thanks to Vegan Dance If You Want To for the inspiration for this recipe. She used amaranth greens. So lucky and grand!

Oh, and not to toot my own horn or anything, but it'd be a shame if you didn't view the photo in its large format, the bloody quinoa tails are so cute. I'm an absolute know-nuthin' novice at photography, so the detail excited me more than perhaps it should've.


*I used the shitake-kombu stock mentioned in my last post

No comments:

Post a Comment